Thursday, October 24, 2019

Rich and Poor



It occurred to me a few years ago that I’m a rich man. Many would doubt that if they knew the sum total of my assets and annual income, but it’s true if you accept the definitions of rich and poor my students and I developed over the years: “Poor” is having insufficient funds to supply adequate food, clothing, shelter, and medical care. “Rich” is defined as having all those things and some extra besides. If you have a little extra, you’re a little rich. If you have a lot extra, you’re very rich. 


By that definition, I’ve never been poor because I’ve always had basic necessities. Early in my marriage, however, our family was below the poverty line as calculated annually by the federal government according to income and size of family. I was a low-paid teacher with a stay-at-home wife and four children.


Working the woodpile at our old house
Our house needed constant repair and maintenance. We drove a vehicle that did too, but never did we lack the basics. I had to learn carpentry, plumbing, and electrical skills to fix up my house, and I had to buy or borrow the necessary tools. I had to learn basic mechanics to work on my vehicles because they frequently broke down and I couldn’t afford to have someone else do it. I had to cut my own firewood for heat. Those were our circumstances for most of three decades.


My wife and me
About twenty years ago things changed. Opportunities came up and my income rose. I could start paying down the mortgage and other debts and after ten years I was debt-free. I considered taking early retirement from teaching and a few years later I did — while keeping the part-time jobs I always had. My income went down, but with no payments to make we still lived well. I spent more time on photography, which I enjoy very much, and now I’m making money with that too. Life is good. I have everything I want — another definition of rich.

Although I’ve written the following before in this space, it’s worth repeating. My wife will agree that the happiest times of our lives so far were when we had only those basic necessities and no more —  when we were under the federal poverty line. I worried about paying the bills many months, but we did it. We never threw food away and ate a lot of soup. We shopped at thrift stores and yard sales and we got excited when finding a nice piece of furniture or clothing cheap.


Our youngest in the old kitchen
My late father-in-law came up during the depression and his family didn’t have much. Still, I remember him saying: “I was happiest when we were eating onion sandwiches.” By that, he meant bread and onions were all there was to eat for a while. My own father was the same age and he also came up through the depression His father, my grandfather, was a binge-drinking alcoholic who often burned up his paycheck with booze. He made enough money as a street-car driver in the Carmen’s Union (of which he was president), and somehow kept his job, but his family lacked basic necessities. Those were not happy times for my father, the oldest of his six children. If not for my grandfather’s drinking, his family would not have been poor.


Sad evidence of poor money management
It might be claimed that America won the war on poverty. If we still have people lacking funds for basic necessities, it’s likely because, like my grandfather, they don’t manage their money well. Yes, there are people who have had serious health problems and have run up enormous medical bills. Even if they went bankrupt and had to go on welfare, their basic needs are still met — unless they spend unwisely. Unfortunately, that describes a rising number of Americans

More sad evidence

Their DBT cards are charged up at the beginning of every month but they run out of funds after the first or second week. Can that be helped? Not by government, it can’t. If their allotments were increased, it’s likely they’d continue to spend frivolously and still be poor for two or three weeks of every month. Maybe they’ll run out of food or heating oil. Maybe they won’t have enough for gasoline. Maybe they’ll be late on the rent or the electric bill or the gas bill, or all of those.


Schools used to teach something called “home economics,” but I don’t think it’s part of the curriculum in most schools anymore. Even if people learned those skills, a certain amount of self-discipline is still necessary. My grandfather lacked it, and too many others in America do too. Their numbers are rising. As my old friend, fellow selectman and “Overseer of the Poor,” the late Stub Eastman, said: “We have the poor, and the poor have us.”


Some things never change, and recent promises by 2020 Democrats won’t have any effect either.

1 comment:

Uber_Fritz said...

I am certainly aware of the starting teachers' salaries during the mid-70s. My salary at a parochial school was about $5000.00 and my wife only had an associates' degree. She was nineteen and I was twenty-three. However, this did not deter us. I worked a couple of jobs including teaching gymnastics at a dance school. My wife worked in a factory for a year. Our goal was for my wife to finish her education. She wasted one year at Rhode Island College; many credits from Berkshire Community could not be transferred. Then she enrolled at Bridgewater and finished her degree in two years.

I realized that working in a Parochial environment might be a good climate but making sufficient founds was impossible. I moved on to the Attleboro Public Schools only to be laid off because of the impact of Prop 2 1/2.

All in all, my wife spent a career in the Wrentham Public Schools. I finished a JD and continued to teach in North Attleboro for 28 years. I retired with 32 years in the public sector. Both of us have good pensions almost three times the median income in this area. And, we did not accrue any debt from our own educational exploits. How is this possible?

We did not receive monetary help but we were energetic and determined. Indeed, I worked every summer for 36 years but two while my wife continued her education.

Much of this type of motivation has disappeared from society. Why? Because people get something for nothing and become "professional financial vagrants."

I am not against the concept of "Welfare Reform," but it must be stringently regulated. Why reward people who are devoid of ambition and drive?