Saturday, November 06, 2010

Fall Fell

Autumn is just about over. Most of the leaves are down after the heavy rain of the past few days, but I got these shots of a Japanese Maple on one of the properties I manage just before they fell off.Something about that shade of red I like and I try to capture it every November.Took a day to wander over the line in New Hampshire with a friend while there were still some leaves to see. Have always liked this view of Mount Chocorua behind the lake of the same name.The sugar maples hadn't dropped all their yellow leaves yet, as this one displays before a November mist on Kezar Lake back across the line in Maine.There's something about sunlight in November. Can't quite describe it, but it brings similar feelings every year at this time. Here it is coming into my kitchen from the west in late afternoon.This is up on Smart's Hill where my wife and I like to sit as daylight dissipates. The mountains were shrouded as rainclouds broke up after the deluge. It all made for a tranquil blue mood. Seems like the road to winter, but we're not quite there yet.It's not far away though as I see in this early dawn shot of Mount Washington from my back porch.

9 comments:

Diane Gurien in Kearsarge said...

AS USUAL: Tom McLaughlin's contributions on nature, geology and Maine/NH (and Irish) matters are the nec plus ultra for local readers in terms of engaging language and fascinating commentary.

And the photographs!!

Thank you for (once again) making my day, sir.

Jenn said...

Beautiful pictures, Tom! Thanks for sharing!

Dorothy said...

Tom, I so enjoy your blog. I love reading about Maine and the seasons, I agree with most of your political views. I have only one criticism - I do not like the expression "the wife" - I would expect, "the dog", "the cat", etc. but would like to see your wife called by name, or at least "my wife" - am I being too serious?

Tom McLaughlin said...

Okay Dorothy. You win.

My wife looked over the post earlier and didn't say anything negative about the phrase at first, but I read your comment to her later and she acknowledged that it "gave her a pang." She added that "Rednecks say things like 'the wife.'"

I've made the edit.

Anonymous said...

nice pictures Dad.

Anonymous said...

How fast the leaves disappear, winter is acomin.

Alex said...

Let me say, California weather is definitely agreeable. But boy, do I miss the Maine fall. Thanks for the Japanese Maple pictures; they really reminded me of the colors of home.

Tom McLaughlin said...

You're welcome Alex. Glad to provide a taste.

Anonymous said...

Once again Tom, your photo's make a wonderful wallpaper for my desktop!

The kitchen scene is very cozy. Good blend of wood, plants, and lighting.

-tomax7