Sunday, October 03, 2010

Autumn Twilight

A film director I know calls this the "golden hour." In fall, it's the last 20-30 minutes of bright sun before it sets. Always want a camera in hand. These are my favorite ash trees in the back yard. The sky is bluest on a crisp autumn afternoon too.These had just come down in the previous night's wind and rain. They were lit from the side by the declining sun.This is my favorite shade of red in geraniums. It's rich. My wife saves these each fall - brings them inside for the winter and puts them back out.Twilight makes the leaves look good too.Crimson catches my eye. Saw these sumacs on the way to work one morning last week near the Saco River. I'm alway a sucker for nature's reds.These are nicer.These needles fell on an old railroad tie I'd hauled in so my wife could use it as a step. This tie had been imprinted by the gravel base after so many heavy trains had passed over it. The twilight makes it more interesting.Another morning last week showed muted light. The sun hadn't quite risen and it had rained heavily in the night. Gotta move that woodpile before winter.Love those reds. Hope the wife saves these geraniums again for next year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures.

Harvey in North Baldwin

Anonymous said...

hinguYour photographs reminded me of some years spent in North Conway back in the '50s. I can almost smell the earth and the slight chill presaging winter...thank you for the memories.

Anonymous said...

phaliWhy do people stack firewood so far from the house?

Tom McLaughlin said...

A big maple snapped and fell over last year in a windstorm, knocking down a birch over there. I worked them up on site and stacked the wood to dry.

Anonymous said...

Geez Tom, being the brown shirt that you are, (or the one that they say you are), I find it interesting that you are so drawn to that shade of "RED". LOL
Your favorite brother!